My first day ver 2.0

Started for real in Vaiola Hospital this morning. The other students had told me that there was a) no point trying to find an administrator and b) Things kicked off at 8:30, so armed with this knowledge I headed off this morning in search of the ED. It was about five times smaller than I'm used to, so that took longer than planned, but luckily I spotted some of the others on the way in who were able to point me in the direction of an ambulance and I figured out the rest for myself!

Outside the hospital
 
There's me and another girl in ED at the moment, and for a decent length of time we outnumbered the patients. Ellie claims that she's cursed, and whenever she's in ED no patients show up, but as the morning went on more and more trickled in. We saw a women post car accident, a nasty compound fracture, two cases of gastroenteritis, a 12y/o girl who keeps fainting in school, and a case of cellulitis. Overall, not too bad going! 

The doctor was great- he let us see and clerk the patients fully (with a nurse to translate as needed) before discussing the plan we'd come up with and sending us off to get the ball rolling with bloods, IVs etc. At around 1ish he turned around, told us we'd done a good day and to head off home, which was pretty nice too! 


The hospital from above


The afternoon was rounded off with lunch at the hospital cafe, then a walk into town for ice-cream (a lot of ice-cream. The women in the shop seemed fairly scandalised when we asked for two scoops and I now see why) and a teeny tiny nap. 

My walk into the hospital every day

Should be a chilled evening tonight just playing some cards at one of the guesthouses, but there's talk of a trip out to Anahulu cave tomorrow, so stay tuned...!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on medicine in Tonga

Panga-what?

Signing off on Suva