Panga-what?

Here in Tonga, Sunday is strictly a day of rest and religion, with most of the local population heading into church for a large chunk of the day. Almost all shops and restuarants are shut, catching a bus or taxi becomes near impossible and even working out is frowned upon.

Not a bad place to spend a Sunday


To pass the time, I headed with a group of other medical students to Pangaimoto, a popular island resort just twenty minutes from the harbour, where a huge chunk of the non-religious population gather on a Sunday. For only ~£15 you get a boat transfer, lunch, and free reign of a beautiful island and its white sand beaches. I was there from 11am till 5pm enjoying the sunshine, swimming in the calm water and playing card games in the shade when it got a bit too much. All in all a tough day! 

You can climb up this sunken ship, and jump off into the sea

Here is the first place I've spotted any signs of damage from the recent cyclone- when you head around the island you can see how strong the winds must have been, just from a look at the palm trees! 


Tomorrow I'll brave the hospital for the first time- everyone's advised me to just a pick a ward and show up, so I think I'm going to give A&E a try to begin with (mainly cause it lets me wear my scrubs!) but we'll see how things go....!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on medicine in Tonga

Signing off on Suva